Listening and Communication Enhancement Training Software
Just as physical therapy can help rebuild muscles to compensate for physical weakness or injury, LACE® program (Listening And Communication Enhancement) will help you develop skills and strategies to deal with situations when hearing is inadequate. Whether you wear hearing aids, are just acquiring aids, or simply wish to improve your listening skills, LACE® training will help you get the most out of the sounds of life.
You may “hear” in your ears; but you “listen” with your brain.
Hearing aids can help a person detect softer sounds, but they do not necessarily provide good listening skills. Conceived by leading audiologists at the University of California at San Francisco and implemented by silicon valley software veterans, LACE® listening software retrains the brain to comprehend speech up to 40% better in difficult listening situations such as: noisy restaurants, rapid speakers and competing speakers.
LACE® is a home-based, self-paced listening training program.
- Runs on Windows or Macintosh PCs and DVD players
- Simple and intuitive – even for computerphobes
- Helps compensate for hearing loss by strengthening thinking and memory skills and providing communications strategies.
- Automatically transmits your results to your health care provider for easy tracking of your progress.
- Teaches you how to conquer listening challenges, like noisy restaurants, so you can enjoy daily activities more.
LACE® provides a variety of interactive and adaptive tasks that are divided into FIVE main categories:
1. Speech in Noise. We live and listen in an incredibly noisy world. In many situations, the noise around us makes it very difficult to listen effectively. However, if you want to hear well in life, you have to learn how to listen more effectively in noisy situations. Our research Shows that we can improve effective listening in noise with only a few training sessions.
2. Fast Talkers. Many times we hear the voice of the person talking, but they simply talk too fast. If we could just get them to SLOW DOWN… better yet, if we could only listen faster! Our research has shown that effective LACE training enables the brain to “speed up”, to effectively listen to someone when they are speaking rapidly.
3. Competing Talkers. Often competing talkers interfere with our ability to understand our own conversation. With effective LACE® training we will learn to focus on a “target” voice, the voice we’re trying to understand. This can make a world of difference to understanding and participating in a conversation.
4. Auditory Memory. A simple example of working Auditory memory is having a friend recite a list of numbers, and then suddenly stopping, asking you to repeat the last four numbers. To try to find the answer to the question, you have to “replay” the numbers back to yourself in your mind as you heard them. Since Auditory memory lasts for a few seconds, if there was no pause between the time your friend stopped reciting the list to the time where he asked you to repeat the last digits, then your Auditory memory would be able to pick up the last few numbers and recite them back quite accurately. However, if there was a pause between the time he stopped counting to the time he asked you to repeat the numbers, your recall would not be as high because the numbers have left your Auditory memory. LACE will help train you to improve your Auditory Memory & Cognitive Skills with our Target Word task which focuses on short and long term memory training; and the Missing Word task which can improve your speed of processing and use of contextual cues.
5. Communication Tips. Throughout your training, LACE® will present you with various strategies to help in daily communication activities; as well as helpful information about hearing loss and how to prevent it.
Even people with normal hearing can be poor listeners. Good listening skills is one of the essential components in effective communication. Other components include rapid thought processing, auditory memory, use of language skills, and interactive strategies.
The confidence that what you thought you heard was what was actually spoken is vital. These abilities can be damaged both by hearing loss and by the natural aging process. LACE is designed to enhance the ability to communicate by training the brain to best utilize these skills.
LACE® Works Together With You. LACE® is always adapting to your listening skills. The difficulty level of the task is based on the accuracy of your response to the previous task, so LACE® is never too difficult or too easy.