Hearing loss in children can be difficult for parents when first discovered. The good news is, with the proper modern paediatric hearing instruments and your involvement, your child can still enjoy everything that life has to offer. They can play, learn, and pursue their dreams, just like any other kid.
We are able to provide hearing tests for children who are 7 years and older. If you child is under the age of 7 and you are concerned about their hearing, we recommend you contact your doctor who can provide you with a referral to the CHEO Audiology department.
What is the Robillard Kids Program?
The Robillard Kids Program offers the most advanced Oticon and Phonak hearing aids and earmolds for children of all ages at cost under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). With this program, parents receive 5 sets of new earmolds for just $500 and no dispensing fee will be charged.
A hearing aid must fit properly for your child to feel comfortable. Children usually wear a behind-the-ear hearing aid because an in-the-ear hearing aid quickly stops fitting as your child grows. This could mean spending $250 on new earmolds every six months, which is why the Robillard Kids Program that includes 5 earmolds for $500 is a great value to your family.
- Signs of Hearing Loss
- If your baby isn’t startled by loud noises, doesn’t turn toward the source of a sound, doesn’t say a single world by the time they are one year old, or doesn’t notice when you call their name, you should get them examined by a doctor.
- Signs of hearing loss in toddlers and older kids include difficulties in speech, frequently asking parents to repeat themselves, often turning up the volume of the TV, talking very loudly, or responding inappropriately to questions.
- If you suspect your child has hearing loss, make an appointment with your family doctor. They may refer you to the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO). There is often an 8-12 month wait for an appointment at CHEO.
- If you visit CHEO, OHIP will cover the cost of the hearing test. If you would prefer to be seen faster and/or have private medical insurance, you can book a hearing test at one of our 12 locations in Ottawa and Eastern Ontario. You can claim the expense of the hearing test on your taxes at year end and/or your private medical insurance.
- After your child’s hearing evaluation, you will need to see an Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Doctor. * Please note that you will require a Doctor’s referral for this.
3D Scanning and Printing
Robillard Hearing Centres is the only hearing aid dispenser in Canada with our own 3D Scanner and Printing Lab, located at our Orleans location. Earmolds printed at our lab will fit your child’s unique measurements. This means that the hearing aid will have an excellent fit and won’t inhibit your child’s activities. We also offer a variety of colours to choose from.
Urgent Earmold Printing/Delivery within 24 Hours
If your child loses or damages their hearing aid, we can print a new earmold and have it delivered to you within 24 hours! If the existing earmold was getting a bit small, in some cases we can print the new one slightly larger without taking another impression!
Beyond the Hearing Aid
Raising a child with hearing loss involves more than just hearing aids. Your child needs your help with socializing, communicating, and learning. The Robillard Kids Program provides all the support that parents and hearing-impaired children need to be able to live an active and outgoing lifestyle.