Do you have difficulty hearing in certain situations? Have you been experiencing symptoms that affect your ears or your hearing? Do you have a family history of hearing loss?
It takes only a few minutes to test your hearing online (or you can book a hearing test in person). If you’re able to adjust your computer or speaker volume, our simple online test will evaluate your hearing and alert you to a potential hearing difficulty.
How to Prepare for Our Online Hearing Test
If you’ve decided to participate in our online hearing test, you are likely concerned about your hearing abilities. This auditory exam can provide you with insights into your hearing level and recommend important next steps. While our online hearing test is straightforward and available for all ages, there are some things you can do to ensure you receive the most accurate results. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Before hitting the start button, ensure you are in a quiet, indoor area that is free of background noise. This will allow your acoustic nerves and the signals they send to your brain to be focused solely on the test, rather than potential distractions.
- Decide whether you will use your device’s speakers or plug-in headphones. Although speakers may feel more comfortable, utilizing headphones will deliver more accurate results and give you the opportunity to have your left and right ears tested individually.
- Once you have chosen how you will listen to the test, turn on the volume and set it to a comfortable level. The start of the test offers you the opportunity to listen to a distinct sound so you can set the volume level appropriately.
- Take a few deep breaths prior to pushing the start button. A calm mindset will allow you to remain focused while taking the test.
- If you normally wear hearing aids, it is best to remove them before starting our online test for the most accurate results.
Mistakes to Avoid when Taking Our Online Hearing Test
Within our hearing centres, you’ll experience a unique environment that allows our friendly and dedicated team to understand the full scope of your hearing abilities. Our online hearing test is not a substitute for an in-person check-up, but rather an accessible way to learn more details about your hearing. As such, there are some things we recommend avoiding if you are considering participating in our hearing test online. These include:
- Refraining from taking the test in loud, echoing, or outdoor places. These areas may affect your hearing abilities and provide unclear test results.
- Avoiding taking the test while frustrated or overwhelmed. Tinnitus and hearing loss can often occur together, and under stress, can flare up and increase the severity of your symptoms.
- Once your volume is set to a comfortable level, don’t increase or decrease it during certain parts of the test. The initial level is a benchmark, and our test is designed to examine a range of potential scenarios where you may strain to hear. Therefore, changing the volume could lead to false or inaccurate results.
Next Steps After Our Online Hearing Test is Completed
Once you’ve completed the online hearing test, we can send the results to you via email. This will give you a more informed perspective of your hearing health. However, these results are not a perfect match to what a professional auditory test might reveal. If your results indicate hearing issues, an in-person hearing test conducted by an audiologist is recommended. This can help to highlight important details surrounding your hearing loss, facilitating a discussion about your health and what might be causing this sensory issue. Our team can also recommend hearing aids that will suit you best.
We understand that hearing loss can be a deeply personal matter. The diagnosis of this condition might feel overwhelming, and lead you to believe that you are unable to enjoy the activities as you once did, or engage in conversations with the ones you love. An online hearing test can be the first step to taking back control of your hearing and embracing your life to the fullest again. If you have questions about your hearing or are ready to set up an appointment with one of our hearing professionals, reach out to us today.
How long does the hearing test take?
The hearing test will take about 30 minutes, and it’s painless! The consultation after the hearing test can last 45 mins — so just over an hour from start to finish. Most adults who get hearing tests are asked to wear earphones and listen to short tones that are played at different volumes and pitches into one ear at a time.
Is this the same as an in person test?
Unfortunately not. Tests performed over the internet at home may not be consistent due to background noise and other contributing factors. In our clinics, the hearing tests are performed in a soundproof booth with specialized equipment and software. We believe it is a convenient and useful tool to get a better understanding of your hearing. For that reason, if you have any concerns regarding your hearing please do not hesitate to contact one of our 12 locations.
Who should take the online hearing test?
If you are experiencing any sort of change in your hearing, taking our free online hearing test is a quick and easy way to get a better understanding of your next steps. If you have any concerns about your hearing, you can book an appointment at any of our 12 locations.
Can children or teens take the online hearing test?
Yes! Our simple online test will evaluate your hearing and alert you to a potential hearing difficulty. Make sure you can adjust your computer or speaker volume, and the test will only take a few minutes.
Can I book an in-person hearing test?
Yes, we would be happy to schedule you for an in-person hearing test. We have 12 locations throughout Ottawa and Eastern Ontario. In person hearing tests are free for Ontario residents. https://www.hearingisbelieving.com/contact/locations/
Can I Use the Online Hearing Test as an Army Hearing Test?
It is imperative that all army applicants take the same hearing test, and tests performed over the internet at home may not be consistent due to background noise, the soundcard on a computer, speakers used, etc. For that reason, only a hearing test performed by an audiologist would be accepted.
You can however, use our online hearing test as an idea to see if you MIGHT fall within the Army Hearing Standards
Will I Receive an Audiogram After I Take the Free Online Hearing Test?
You will, but note that it is really for your information. A more detailed audiogram is provided when you take a hearing test at one of our 12 locations in the Ottawa area. This more detailed audiogram is the one accepted by the RCMP or in order to determine the best hearing aid for your needs.
What Happens During a Hearing Test
At your appointment, your audiologist or hearing instrument specialist will ask questions about your background, medical history, employment and sound environments. For more information on what to expect during a hearing test, click here.
How Often Should I Get A Hearing Test?
If you have a hearing loss, we recommend you return to one of our 12 Robillard locations for an annual hearing test. Regular visits help monitor your hearing loss, assess the effectiveness of your hearing aid, and provide strategies for overcoming challenges.
Why Choose a Hearing Test at Robillard?
We offer one-stop access to a full range of services for adults and children with hearing loss at 12 locations across Ontario. In addition to hearing tests using state-of-the-art equipment, we provide hearing aids, communication devices and other products, services and information related to hearing loss, as well as a wide range of accessible education and support programs.
- Hearing aid recommendations that fit your lifestyle, budget, and specific hearing loss
- Hearing aids that are digital, invisible, water-resistant, and Bluetooth-enabled to connect to all your devices
- Follow-up care to see how you’re doing and if you need adjustments
- Hearing aid batteries and accessories
- Financing options that include 0% financing O.A.C.
- 90-day trial periods, just in case you need a little more time to think about it