Waterproof Hearing Aids
Hearing aids are like any other electronic product – their internal parts are not designed to get wet! If they do, it could lead to corrosion, distortion of the sound or flat out frying your hearing aids!
Most hearing aids, are moisture-proof: a little sweat or a walk in the rain shouldn’t damage your hearing aids. Even a quick shower, or a dip in the pool on the other hand, can damage your hearing aids permanently.
Although no hearing aid is appropriate for being submerged in water, there are several reasons water-resistant hearing aids might be a good choice:
- You spend extended time in a humid area
- You have oily skin
- You tend to produce a lot of earwax
- You are concerned about sweat
Identifying hearing aids that are moisture resistant
All electrical appliances have an Ingress Protection (IP) rating created by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). This rating is made up of two digits and the second digit is a reflection of water resistance. To be considered water resistant, hearing aids need to have a minimum (IP) rating of 57. According to the IEC which publishes the IP code, an 8 rating for water means it will not be damaged in water depth up to 1.5m for 30 minutes. Be sure to store your hearing aid correctly when not in use.
Protect Your Hearing Aid From Excess Moisture
- Remove your hearing aid when you are in an exceptionally humid environment such as the shower
- Store your hearing aid as per the manufacturers suggestions when not in use – e.g. a dry box
- Before you go to bed each night, remove the batteries, keeping the battery compartment door open until the following morning, allowing accumulated moisture to evaporate
- Wipe the entire device with a dry, dust-free cloth as soon as you take it out
- Invest in a dehumidifier or dry box. This inexpensive piece of equipment is a good place to store your hearing aids overnight.
- Always let your hearing aids dry naturally by avoiding hair dryers, heat lamps, hot air guns, microwaves or ovens to dry them.
- Drying unit with UV light?
- Have your aids professionally cleaned and dried a couple of times per year.
Does JB recommend any hearing aids over others for excess moisture?
Could we add ip ratings to the hearing aids on https://www.hearingisbelieving.com/hearing-aids/ and send people over there to look?